5. Ploshchad Revolyutsii Station
Ploshchad Revolyutsii is under Revolution Square and was opened in 1938. It has a central aisle of red and yellow marble arches and each of the pillars is faced with black Armenian marble. At the corner of each arch is a bronze sculpture depicting the people of the Soviet Union including writers, farmers, artists, industrial workers and school children. There are 76 sculptures in total. The sculpture of a frontier guard with his dog is the most famous, as rubbing the nose of the dog is said to bring good luck.
4. Novoslobodskaya Station
Novoslobodskaya Station opened in 1952 and is well known for its stained glass panels. Thirty-two of them line the main aisle which is faced with a pinkish-beige marble from the Ural mountains. The marble is trimmed in brass, the chandeliers are art deco, and the floor is a simple checkerboard of gray marble. The stained glass panels were designed by Latvian artists and depict floral scenes. Lit from within, they are a colorful counterpoint to the simple marble walls. There is a colorful mosaic at the end of the aisle titled “World Peace”.
3. Komsomolskaya Station
Komsomolskaya Station is probably the most opulent of the stations on the metro, and its most distinguishing feature is the ceiling. The baroque ceiling is painted yellow and covered with mosaics and decorative floral moldings. The mosaics depict heroes of history and were designed to inspire the Russian people. Between each of the large mosaics is a smaller one dedicated to the weapons of ancient Russia, the Napoleonic War, and the Second World War. The octagonal columns are faced with white marble and topped with baroque carvings. The entrance to the station is also impressive with a massive octagonal dome topped by a cupola and spire. The station won the Grand Prix award at Expo ’58 in Brussels.
2. Kievskaya Station
Kievskaya Station was designed through a competition open to the Ukrainian public and named after the capital of Ukraine. Celebrating Russo-Ukrainian friendship, it is in a lavish baroque style with white Ural marble covering the square pillars, gold colored trim, and colorful mosaics. The mosaics depict scenes of life in aristocratic Russia and Ukraine and the station was Khrushchev’s favorite. It was opened in 1953. This station is on the Koltsevaya Line, and is not to be confused with the other two Kievskaya Station on the Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya Line and the Filyovskaya Line.
1. Mayakovskaya Station
Mayakovskaya is considered to be the most beautiful station in the Moscow metro system and is a fine example of pre-World War II Stalinist architecture. Opened in 1938 it was used as an air-raid shelter during the second World War, and Stalin famously gave a speech from inside the station that was broadcast over radio announcing to the world that Moscow was still standing. The open and airy feeling of the station comes from the narrow columns, and also the high light arches and the light white and pink marble floor. The narrow columns are faced with stainless steel (created in a zeppelin factory) and pink rhodonite. In the ceiling there are thirty-four inset sections for lights, but this is also where you’ll find the best part of the station: each of the insets also has a Smalt mosaic with the theme of Soviet Sky. The mosaics depict workers atop skyscrapers, church spires, high-jumpers, planes, parachutists, and more.